[Amcd-aapi] Debrief from ACA

Hyun, June jhyun at spu.edu
Thu May 10 15:49:17 PDT 2018

Hello AMCD-AAPI,
If you are a new member, welcome to the AAPI listserv!

For those who came to the AAPI concerns meeting at ACA, thank you!
We're growing in number, and our presence is noticed.

We discussed a lot of issues around specific strategies in counseling Asian, international students, how to integrate Western culture, immigrant families, etc. To take actions around these issues, the following ideas were suggested:

1.       Webinar by AAPI clinicians: What works with an AAPI population/AAPI suicide/specific techniques

2.       Webinar ideas: sex trafficking, sexism in Asian culture

3.       Research on discrimination in the Vietnamese population

4.       Community: One-day driving program- community building activity with students presentations

ACA is going to be in New Orleans, Louisiana in 2019, and the proposal is due on June 4th.
https://www.counseling.org/conference/future-conferences/aca-2019-conference-call-for-proposals

There will also be AMCD multicultural counseling summit in Florida in June 2019.
If you are interested, please get your research and practice prepared! The proposal announcement will be out soon.

This is our listserv. If you would like to chime in and suggest any, please feel free to do so by sending an email to acmd-aapi at list.spu.edu<mailto:acmd-aapi at list.spu.edu>.

Thank you all!

June Hyun

Jung (June) H. Hyun, Ph.D., LMHCA, NCC
Associate Professor & Chair, Counselor Education

School of Education<http://spu.edu/academics/school-of-education>, Suite 202
Seattle Pacific University<spu.edu>

Phone: (206) 281-2671
Email: jhyun at spu.edu<mailto:jhyun at spu.edu>