[Amcd-aapi] Introduction to Asian-American Studies

Richardson, Lawrence llhrich at okstate.edu
Thu May 3 09:52:32 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Hope you enjoyed the ACA conference and brought awesome ideas back to your organization! I proposed to teach an introduction to Asian-American studies course, and our American Studies director approved it for spring 2019. I will focus on Asian-American history, culture, civil rights, and politics. While I am very excited, I wanted to reach out to see what classroom and assignment resources everyone could recommend regarding texts, media, art, etc. Because this is an undergraduate course in humanities, I will need to emphasize arts, culture, and literature. As of right now, I have the following required texts:

  *   The Making of Asian America: A History by Erika Lee (historical text)
  *   Asian American Dreams: The Emergence of an American People by Helen Zia (cultural memoir)
  *   Eating Asian America: A Food Studies Reader by Robert Ji-Song Ku, Martin F. Manalasan IV, & Anita Mannur (cultural studies)

For supplemental reading and media, I'm pulling articles from the Journal of Asian-American Studies and clips from Last Week Tonight about Hollywood whitewashing, Master of None, Wong Fu Productions, Fresh off the Boat, and Ugly Delicious. What are some other thoughts or ideas that I could replace or integrate in my course? If you've taken an Asian-American studies course, what did you enjoy about it? What did you wish you learned? If you've never taken a course related to Asian-American studies, what would you want to learn about?

Feel free to backchannel me by responding to this email. I BCC'ed the AMCD-AAPI listserv to prevent inbox flooding.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Lawrence Richardson, MS, NCC, GCDF * Pronouns: He/him/his
OSU College of Arts and Sciences Career Services
213 Life Sciences East * 405.744.5658 * llhrich at okstate.edu<mailto:llhrich at okstate.edu>
Appointments: https://cas.okstate.edu/advising/careers